Goals for weight management can mean the difference between success and failure. Weight-loss goals that are realistic and well-planned keep you focused and motivated. They offer a strategy for change as you make the transition to a healthier lifestyle. However, not all weight-loss objectives are beneficial. Weight-loss goals that are unrealistic or overly aggressive can undermine your efforts. Use the following guidelines to help you set goals that will help you lose weight and improve your overall health.
Weight management objectives can be outcome-oriented or process-oriented. A weight loss goal could be an outcome goal — what you hope to achieve in the end. While this goal provides a target, it does not address how you will achieve it. A process goal is a step that must be taken to achieve the desired outcome. A process goal could be to eat five servings of fruits or vegetables per day, walk 30 minutes per day, or drink water at every meal. Process goals may be especially beneficial for weight loss because they focus on changing the behaviors and habits that are required for weight loss.
The SMART plan:
The SMART goal checklist is an effective goal-setting strategy. Make certain that your weight-loss objectives, whether process or outcome goals, meet the following criteria:
- Specific: Specific details are included in a good goal. A goal to exercise more, for example, is not specific, whereas a goal to walk 30 minutes after work every day is. You’re announcing what you’ll do, how long you’ll do it, and when you’ll do it.
- Measurable: You can objectively determine how successful you are at meeting a goal if you can measure it. A goal of eating better is difficult to quantify, but a goal of eating 1,200 calories per day is. A measurable goal does not mean just riding your bike, but riding it for 30 minutes three days a week.
- Attainable: An attainable goal is one that you have enough time and resources to complete. For example, if your work schedule does not allow you to spend an hour at the gym every day, it is not an attainable goal. Two-week visits and two-weekend visits to the gym, on the other hand, may be feasible. If a particular type of exercise, such as running, is physically difficult for you, then running every day is not a goal that you can achieve.
- Relevant: Setting goals that are relevant and meaningful to you and where you are in your life right now is critical. Don’t set goals that someone else expects you to achieve. Determine your goals by asking yourself what is most important to you. Is losing weight a top priority for you? If this is the case, ask your doctor to assist you in determining a daily calorie goal based on your current weight and health.
- Time-bound: Choose your goal and assign a deadline to it. For example, if you want to lose 10 pounds (4.5 kilograms), mark a date on a calendar and work toward that goal. Setting a time limit for yourself can help you get started and stay on track.
Setbacks are an unavoidable part of the process of changing one’s behavior. Everyone who successfully makes changes in their lives has had setbacks. It’s better to prepare for them and devise a strategy for dealing with them. Identifying potential roadblocks such as a large holiday meal or an office party and devising specific strategies to overcome them can help you stay on track or get back on track. Reassess and revise your objectives as needed. As you progress through your weight-loss plan, be open to changing your goals. If you started small and succeeded, you may be ready to take on bigger challenges. Alternatively, you may discover that you need to adjust your goals to better fit your new lifestyle.
Another vital aspect of weight management is your diet. Ensure you eat the right food and get the required Nutrition. Having the right share of protein is also important in weight management and for vegan people, sourcing it can be a bit of an uphill task. To ensure that vegans don’t have to compromise on their protein intake, Origin Nutrition offers vegan protein powders in 4 different variants. It is one of the finest vegan protein powders available and can help you have great control over weight management.